World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0002661217
Reproduction Date:

Title: Barlanark  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Springboig, Easterhouse, Districts of Glasgow, Thomas McGraw, Roughmussel
Collection: Districts of Glasgow
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Barlanark is located in Glasgow council area
 Barlanark shown within Glasgow
OS grid reference
Council area Glasgow City Council
Lieutenancy area Glasgow
Country Scotland
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town GLASGOW
Postcode district G32
Dialling code 0141
Police Scottish
Fire Scottish
Ambulance Scottish
EU Parliament Scotland
UK Parliament Glasgow East
Scottish Parliament Glasgow Shettleston
List of places

Barlanark is a district in the Scottish city of Glasgow. It is east of the districts of Budhill, Shettleston and Springboig, north west of Baillieston, west of Springhill and Swinton and south of Easterhouse, Easthall and Wellhouse (separated by Edinburgh Road (A8)).


  • Name 1
  • History 2
  • Problems 3
  • Schools and churches 4
  • Economy 5
    • Regeneration 5.1
    • Community Development 5.2
  • Well known people 6
  • References 7


The name Barlanark is an apparently hybrid Gaelic-Brythonic name suggesting the hill at the clearing from the Gaelic bàrr and Brythonic lanerc meaning "clearing".[1]


Barlanark housing scheme was developed in response to the city's grave post-war housing needs: In 1952/53 over 2300 3/4-bedroom apartments were constructed and rented out to 'Corporation' tenants. There were also 5-apartment semi-detached houses, and 3-apartment terraced houses built, next to the Estate of Barlanark House,[2] which was constructed by David Hamilton in 1822, demolished in 1954. These tenement blocks were characterised by brick balconies, had good-sized gardens and modern toilet and bathroom facilities. Originally under local authority control, many are now under co-operative ownership.


Although Barlanark was relatively safe for its residents, the geographical nature of Glasgow gang culture, mostly district orientated, was imported from the slums that the residents were escaping from. From as early as the mid-1950s to the early 1960s the Bar-L gang evolved from the youth that resided in Barlanark. From the mid-1960s onward the gang expanded to incorporate outside members from surrounding areas. During the 1980s one of the best known members was Tam "the Licensee" McGraw (Thomas McGraw). The area became involved in the Glasgow Ice Cream Wars of the 1980s.

Schools and churches

The main schools of the area include Barlanark Primary, Sandaig Primary and Our Lady of Peace Primary. Barlanark Primary has merged with Sandaig Primary. Barlanark Primary was demolished to make way for a new RC primary school called our Lady of Peace, which replaced St Jude's Primary where new houses now stand.

Barlanark Greyfriars Parish Church is located at the junction of Edinburgh Road and Hallhill Road. It is the local

  1. ^ Scottish Parliament placenames index
  2. ^
  3. ^


Well-known people from Barlanark include the actress Kathleen McDermott and Jim Scanlan Charlie and the Bhoys who stayed in the same close. The former footballer Pat Nevin and Pat Fairlie, from the pop group Marmalade. Others include the Swansea football player Steven Dobbie, West Brom's Graham Dorrans, and Michelle O'Brien who stars in the TV show River City. Paul Harvey, who used to play for Airdrie, also comes from Barlanark. John 'Hillbill' Hill owner of famous 'John Hill and Sons Painters' based in East London is also a son of Barlanark.

Well known people

The Calvay Centre[3] was opened in 2007, replacing the block of flats and shopping area. The Centre has a 12 place IT Suite as part of John Wheatley College's Learning Network, a 24 place nursery operated by Glasgow East Regeneration Agency and a family centre operated by Quarriers. The Centre is used to provide services for the local community and to offer meeting spaces for local groups and organisations.

Community Development

Since the 1980s, the area has seen substantial redevelopment, with most of the 1950s tenements replaced by housing cooperatives. After the implementation of a re-generation program, the area has changed significantly, and nowadays the houses have all been refurbished to make Barlanark a much better place to live.


Hallhill Road contains a row of small size shops and a Community Centre. The road behind these shops also includes a local pub, Angies Bar, now closed.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.