World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bogardus Place

Article Id: WHEBN0008228324
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bogardus Place  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of eponymous streets in New York City, 6½ Avenue, Broome Street, Bridge Street (Manhattan), Weehawken Street
Collection: Streets in Manhattan
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bogardus Place

Bogardus Place is located in the Inwood section of New York City borough of Manhattan. The one-block street was opened in 1912, and runs 642 feet (196 m) between Hillside Avenue and Ellwood Street, and is named for the family who previously owned much of the land that forms both Fort Tryon Park, and the Fort Tryon section.

The Bogardus family in America started in 1633, when Reverend Everardus Bogardus arrived in New Amsterdam to become that community's second clergyman. Prominent members of that family included James Bogardus, who pioneered in the construction of cast-iron buildings during the 1840s.[1]

References

  1. ^ The Street Book by Henry Moscow; Fordham University Press 1978.

External links

  • A typical Bogardus Place coop building


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.