World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brewood Grammar School

Article Id: WHEBN0006393626
Reproduction Date:

Title: Brewood Grammar School  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Brewood, Educational institutions established in the 15th century, List of the oldest schools in the United Kingdom, John Brian Harley, Richard Hurd (bishop)
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Brewood Grammar School

Brewood Grammar School
Established c. c. 1450, refounded 1575
Closed 1975
Type grammar school
Founders Bishop of Lichfield
Location Brewood
Gender male

Brewood Grammar School was a boys' school in the village of Brewood in South Staffordshire, England.

Founded in the mid 15th century by the Bishop of Lichfield as a chantry school it was closed by the 1547 Act of Dissolution of Chantries. It was re-founded by Matthew Knightley and Sir Thomas Gifford around 1575 and survived as a grammar school until 1975 when its last headmaster, Roy Leafe, retired. It then became a mixed-sex middle school in 1977. As a 20th-century grammar school it took a number of boarders who lived at Wheaton Aston Hall, and taught agricultural science. The school had a small attached farm with cattle and poultry.

The original building does not survive. The earliest part of the remaining buildings, originally two houses donated to the school, dates from 1778. In 1799 these were enclosed in the school grounds by moving the road. They were rebuilt in 1856 as Rushall House (now Grade II listed[1]) and used as a schoolroom and dormitories. In 1863 the headmaster's house was rebuilt, and further extensions to the school were made in 1898, 1926, 1935, and 1952.

The school is commemorated in a recent memorial window in the nearby parish church, St Mary and St Chad.

Notable staff

William Budworth (1699–1745) was headmaster here and failed to employ Samuel Johnson


  1. ^
  • Brewood, David Horovitz, 1988, ISBN 1-85421-011-4
  • Brewood and Penkridge in Old Photographs, Adrienne Whitehouse, 1988, ISBN 0-86299-519-1
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.