World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Durham Priory

Article Id: WHEBN0021298721
Reproduction Date:

Title: Durham Priory  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Robert II of Scotland, Symeon of Durham, Finchale Priory, Coldingham Priory, Davidian Revolution, David I and the Scottish Church, Lytham Hall
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Durham Priory

Durham Priory was a Benedictine priory associated with Durham Cathedral, located in Durham in the North-East of England. It was founded in 1083 and was dissolved led to the replacement of the house with a college of secular canons led by a dean in 1540. The head was the Prior of Durham.

Priory of St Cuthbert, Durham
Order Benedictine
Established 1083
Disestablished 1539
Mother house Independent
Dedicated to St Cuthbert
Diocese Durham
Site
Location Durham, County Durham, England
Visible remains Intact
Public access Yes

History

Historically, Durham Priory was one of the most important land owners in County Durham along with the Bishop of Durham until the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII. Until that point, Durham Priory was home to between 50 and 100 Benedictine monks. Durham was the largest and richest of the monasteries associated with Durham; the other cells were located in Coldingham Priory (until 1462), Jarrow and Monk Wearmouth, Finchale, Farne, Holy Island, Lythe, Stamford and Durham College, Oxford (after 1381).

See also

References

Coordinates: 54°46′24″N 1°34′37″W / 54.77321°N 1.57683°W / 54.77321; -1.57683


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.