World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fort Andrew

Article Id: WHEBN0020437861
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fort Andrew  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fort Andrew

This article is about the fort in Plymouth, Massachusetts. For the fort in Boston, Massachusetts, see Fort Andrews.

Fort Andrew was a six-gun Patriot fort also known as Gurnet Fort. Once located at Gurnet Point, it was rebuilt in 1808, and again in 1863 and was renamed. It became a federal fort in 1869. The reservation was sold in 1926 and became private property. A World War II fire-control tower was built on the parapet of the old fort. The Plymouth (Gurnet Point) Lighthouse is also here.

Development

Through two separate transactions, one in 1808 and another in 1870, the government acquired the 11.9 acres (48,000 m2) that constituted Fort Andrew. The site, which protected Plymouth Harbor, is located at the extreme end of Duxbury Beach (Gurnet Point), approximately 35 miles (56 km) southeast of Boston. In 1927, the War Department transferred the property to the U.S. Department of Treasury for use as a US Coast Guard Station. The use of the site prior to the government's acquisition is unknown, but it currently contains a residential area, a Coast Guard facility, and a lighthouse.

Researchers uncovered no information pertaining to the facilities and activities of Fort Andrew prior to the Civil War. In 1863, the military rebuilt the fort and placed seven coastal defense weapons at Fort Andrew. By 30 June 1867, the fort possessed an additional light field piece installed on a temporary firing platform, which was removed by April 1880. A records search uncovered no information pertaining to the operation of the fort after 1880. The INPR indicates that the Department of Treasury acquired the land in 1927, ending its use by the War Department, except for a 1.7-acre (6,900 m2) tract that the Department of Defense used for a fire control station (Site No. D01MA0510).

Armament

The seven coastal defense guns installed during the Civil War consisted of four eight-inch (203 mm) smooth bore, and three 32-pound rifled pieces. Documents describe the eighth piece installed at Fort Andrew as a "light field piece." Three earth-covered structures pertained to the storage of ordnance at the site, two magazines and a filling room. Documents located by the research team did not mention the use of any CWM at this site.

References

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Huntsville Center PROJECT FACT SHEET FORMERLY USED DEFENSE SITES (FUDS)

External links

  • Pilgrim Hall Museum
  • Plymouth memories of an octogenarian
  • A Guide to Historic Plymouth

Coordinates: 42°17′51″N 70°56′02″W / 42.29750°N 70.93389°W / 42.29750; -70.93389

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.