World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Graphics and Calligraphy Office

Article Id: WHEBN0014739366
Reproduction Date:

Title: Graphics and Calligraphy Office  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: White House Social Secretary, State dinner, President's Bedroom, Queens' Sitting Room, Trowbridge House
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Graphics and Calligraphy Office

An engraved White House invitation during the administration of William Howard Taft showing the now classic combination of copper plate round hand and the Seal of the President.
A calligraphed menu for a state dinner.
One of the earliest White House invitations – to a January 1801 dinner. A portion of the invitation was preprinted and then completed by writing in the event, date, and guests' names, in this case by First Lady Abigail Adams.

The Graphics and Calligraphy Office (GCO) is a unit of the Social Office at the White House, the official residence of the President of the United States. Located in the East Wing, the Graphics and Calligraphy Office coordinates and produces all non-political social invitations, place cards, presidential proclamations, letters patent, military commissions, and official greetings.

Organization

Headed by the White House Chief Calligrapher, the Graphics and Calligraphy Office officially reports to the White House Chief Usher, but works more closely with the Social Office, which is headed by the White House Social Secretary, who is charged with the planning and coordination of official entertainment at the White House.[1]

Official invitations

The design of White House invitations has evolved over time. Dinner invitations going back to the administration of John Adams, the first president to live in the White House, are archived and have inspired the current invitations. In President Adams' day invitations were letterpress printed with the passage reading "The President of the United States, requests the Pleasure of ______'s Company to Dine, on_____next at ___ o'Clock." Space allowed for the hand penned insertion of "& Mrs. Adams" if the First Lady were to attend, as well as individual guests' names, and the date and time.[2] A flowing round hand type of penmanship was used. This style of writing was found in writing manuals in the 18th century.

The custom of including a representation of the arms of the United States, by way of an eagle clutching an olive branch and arrows in its talons and a striped shield with stars became standard on invitations in the early 19th century. By the mid 19th century the more formal Great Seal of the United States was placed at the head of invitations. Text was engraved in black script, allowing space for the guest's name to be added individually. The Great Seal was engraved in burnished gold.

In 1880 President Rutherford B. Hayes had a new seal created for the presidency. The new Seal of the President of the United States shared similarities with the nation's Great Seal. Initially the new presidential seal was applied to seal documents and the presidential flag. In 1902 President Theodore Roosevelt had the presidential seal applied to stationery and invitations in lieu of the Great Seal. The style of invitations became codified with few changes to the present.

Official greetings, proclamations and commissions

While much of the work of the Graphics and Calligraphy Office is centered on social events, the office also engrosses official documents including military commissions, presidential awards, appointments and proclamations.

References

  1. ^ Hawkes Patterson, Bradley. (1992). The White House Staff: Inside the West Wing and Beyond.. Brookings Institution Press. pp. pp. 297–298.  
  2. ^ Seale, William. (1986). The President's House. The White House Historical Association. pp. pp. 74–75, plate 12.  

Further reading

  • Clinton, Hillary Rodham. An Invitation to the White House: At Home with History. Simon & Schuster: 2000. ISBN 0-684-85799-5.
  • Garrett, Wendell. Our Changing White House. Northeastern University Press: 1995. ISBN 1-55553-222-5.

External links

  • Official White House website
  • The White House Historical Association, with historical photos, online tours and exhibits, timelines, and facts
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.