World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Harzgerode

Article Id: WHEBN0001090592
Reproduction Date:

Title: Harzgerode  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Alexisbad, Dankerode, Königerode, Güntersberge, Schielo
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Harzgerode

Harzgerode
Town hall and St Mary's Church
Town hall and St Mary's Church
Coat of arms of Harzgerode
Coat of arms
Harzgerode   is located in Germany
Harzgerode
Harzgerode
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State Saxony-Anhalt
District Harz
Government
 • Mayor Jürgen Bentzius (SPD)
Area
 • Total 164.57 km2 (63.54 sq mi)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 8,296
 • Density 50/km2 (130/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 06493
Dialling codes 039484
Vehicle registration HZ
Website www.harzgerode.de

Harzgerode is a town in the district of Harz in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany.

Geography

Harzgerode lies in the lower eastern part of the Harz mountain range on the Selke River, south of Quedlinburg. It is connected to Gernrode and Quedlinburg via Alexisbad by a narrow gauge railway called the Selke Valley Railway (Selketalbahn).

The municipal area comprises 11 localities:

On 1 August 2009 the towns of Güntersberge and Harzgerode (with their villages of Alexisbad, Mägdesprung and Silberhütte) together with the municipalities of Dankerode, Königerode, Schielo, Siptenfelde and Straßberg became part of the new borough of Harzgerode. On 1 September 2010 Neudorf was also incorporated.

History

The settlement in the medieval Duchy of Saxony was first mentioned in connection with the Benedictine abbey of Hagenenrod in the Selke valley founded in 975, to which King Otto III granted market, minting and customs rights in 993. The following year the place was mentioned as Hazacanroth, when the king granted the citizens of Quedlinburg market rights.

About 1000, the local Schwabengau counts of Ballenstedt, progenitors of the noble House of Ascania, served as Vogt protectors of the Hagenrode monastery dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. The abbey already lost its minting rights in 1035, when Emperor Conrad II had the mint relocated to Nienburg and though its estates were placed under protection by Pope Alexander III in 1179, the monks later left for the episcopal town of Naumburg. Devastated during the German Peasants' War in 1525, the possessions fell to the Ascanian Princes of Anhalt while the monastery buildings decayed.

Harzgerode Castle, courtyard

Upon a 1252 division of the Anhalt lands, Harzgerode had become part of the Anhalt-Bernburg principality. The Harzgerode town privileges were renewed in 1338. Due to its protected location, the town did not suffer from many military conflicts, but it was repeatedly devastated by fire. Before 1503 there was a great fire; in 1635 (on Midsummer's Day) every building in the town was razed with the exception of seven houses. On 30 June 1722 again 42 houses burned down; on 23 October 1817 52 houses were razed.

Temporarily given in pawn to the Counts of Stolberg, the rule was again assumed by the Anhalt princes in 1535. Harzgerode became the administrative centre of the double Amt of Harzgerode and Güntersberge, both vested with town privileges. In 1635 Prince Frederick made Harzgerode Castle,

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.