World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

History of rail transport in Latvia

Article Id: WHEBN0031879896
Reproduction Date:

Title: History of rail transport in Latvia  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Rail transport in Latvia, History of rail transport by country, History of rail transport in the Czech Republic, History of rail transport in Slovenia, History of rail transport in Slovakia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

History of rail transport in Latvia

This article is part of the history of rail transport by country series
Majorenhof (today: Majori) railway station at Jūrmala, Latvia, ca 1900.

The history of rail transport in Latvia began with the construction in 1860 of a railway from Pytalovo to Dinaburg (now Daugavpils), 160 km in length, as part of the Saint Petersburg – Warsaw Railway.

More intensive development of railways in Latvia commenced the following year, 1861, when the 232 km long Riga - Dinaburg railway was opened. It connected with the Saint Petersburg – Warsaw Railway, and thus joined the Latvian railways with the Russian rail network. For the rest of the second half of the nineteenth century, the intensive construction of railways continued. Lines constructed during that period included Dinaburg–Radviliškis, Mitau (now Jelgava)–Muravyovo (Mažeikiai), and others.

From the 1890s, narrow gauge lines (750 mm (2 ft 5 12 in)) were built to complement the broad gauge lines (1,524 mm (5 ft)). Most of the narrow-gauge railways were later converted to broad gauge, but then dismantled in the second half of the twentieth century.

See also

References

External links

  • "The State Lines of Latvia". Mike's Railway History. 


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.