Hungarian settlements in North America

The Hungarian settlements in North America are those settlements, which were founded by Hungarian settlers, immigrants. Some of them is still exist, sometimes their names was changed. The first greater Hungarian immigration wave reached North America in the 19th century, the first settlements were established at that time.

Settlements with Hungarian name

Settlements, whose name was changed

Settlements, where there is a significant Hungarian population

Hungarian Reformed Church, New York
  • Cleveland – Cleveland once was known as the second greates Hungarian city outside Hungary. Cleveland and the neighboring area has about 130,000 Hungarian population.[3]
  • Fairport Harbor, Ohio – This village contains the highest percentage of Hungarian population, 11.5%. The current mayor, the fire department leader and the police chief all has Hungarian roots.
  • Yorkville, Manhattan – East 79th Street was the Hungarian Boulevard. On East 82nd Street stands the St. Stephen Catholic church and farther east on the same street the Hungarian Reformed Church.
  • New Brunswick, New Jersey – Around the turn of the 20th century the Hungarian population began to attracting in New Brunswick. There is a Hungarian Festival in the city and there are many Hungarian institutions, including churches, kindergartens, schools, associations or folk dance ensembles.
  • Edmonton, Alberta – In 2006 there lived 12 110 Hungarians.[4]
  • South Bend, Indiana – 3.3% of the population (3 559 persons) is Hungarian.
  • Toledo, Ohio – From 1892 it has a great Hungarian community, in 2006 there lived 6,093 Hungarians.
  • Prince Rupert and Terrace, British Columbia – settlements which became home to refugees from the Sopron Faculty of Forestry in 1956 and since

Resources

  1. ^ Kossuthville, Florida
  2. ^ Congo – magyar település Amerikában
  3. ^ Hungarian americans of Cleveland
  4. ^ Government of Canada. "Ethnic origins, 2006 counts, for census subdivisions (municipalities) with 5,000-plus population – 20% sample data

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.