World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Mazingarbe

Article Id: WHEBN0013125446
Reproduction Date:

Title: Mazingarbe  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Rupert Brooke, Agglomeration community of Lens – Liévin, Arrondissement of Lens, Robert Dunsire, Alan Patterson (athlete)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Mazingarbe

Mazingarbe
slag heap in the background
Mazingarbe
Mazingarbe

Coordinates: 50°28′26″N 2°43′09″E / 50.4739°N 2.7192°E / 50.4739; 2.7192Coordinates: 50°28′26″N 2°43′09″E / 50.4739°N 2.7192°E / 50.4739; 2.7192

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Lens
Canton Bully-les-Mines
Intercommunality Communaupole de Lens-Liévin
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Bernard Urbaniak
Area
 • Land1 10.27 km2 (3.97 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 7,564
 • Population2 density 740/km2 (1,900/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62563 / 62670
Elevation 26–74 m (85–243 ft)
(avg. 33 m or 108 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Mazingarbe is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.

History

The village was known as Masengarba in 1046, Masengarbe in 1232 and Mazengarbe in 1558.
Mazingarbe’s first inhabitants, as far as can be ascertained, were Neolithic farmers who grew grain and raised sheep, pigs and oxen. Many flint tools have been found dating from this period. Other archaeological excavations have unearthed pottery, clay tiles, tools, jewelry and bones, evidence of occupation of the site at the beginning of the first millennium of a Gallo-Roman villa at a place called Le Marais Bray.
In 1046 the village was mentioned as the villa Mazengarba confirmed as a possession of the abbey of Marchiennes. The estate and its lands remained the property of the church until the French Revolution. Under the Ancien Régime, the population was predominantly agricultural. Like most towns and villages of the Artois, Mazingarbe had suffered the ravages of invasions, wars and looting, epidemics of plague, fires and harsh winters. In 1790, there were 328 inhabitants. The records of Croÿ, dating from the early 17th century, show Mazingarbe at that time as a modest little village gathered around a church.
Mazingarbe was home to less than 800 people before the opening, in 1859, of the first coal mine, No. 2. Pits No. 6 (1876) and No. 7 (1877) followed later. The population grew at the same speed as industry, the city hosting several waves of immigrant workers, first Belgians and Italians and then later mostly Polish. The creation of a treatment plant and coal processing plant in 1896, which later became a large chemical complex, significantly enhanced the town.
Mazingarbe suffered heavy damage during the First World War. The battlefront was only two kilometres away at Vermelles.
The Second World War didn't spare the town either. An Allied aerial bombardment of the factories and mines, in September 1943, claimed 27 civilian victims.

Geography

Mazingarbe is located 3 miles (4.8 km) northwest of Lens, at the junction of the D176 and the D75 roads. The A26 motorway passes through the commune.

Population

Population history
1962 1968 1975 1982 1990 1999 2006
9300 10060 8992 8114 7829 7470 7564
Census count starting from 1962: Population without duplicates

Places of interest

  • The church of St.Rictrude, dating from the nineteenth century.
  • A nineteenth-century chateau, now the Hotel deVille (Town Hall).
  • The war memorial.
  • Two chapels.
  • The Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemeteries.

See also

References

  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • Official website of the commune (French)
  • The CWGC cemetery
  • The CWGC graves in the communal cemetery
  • Mazingarbe on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.