World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Munro, Buenos Aires

Article Id: WHEBN0003417975
Reproduction Date:

Title: Munro, Buenos Aires  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Paola Suárez, Munro (disambiguation), Julio Bocca, Vicente Martín Rodríguez, Greater Buenos Aires
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Munro, Buenos Aires

Munro is a quarter of the Vicente López Partido in northern Greater Buenos Aires, Argentina, best known for its jeans and apparel stores and outlets. It is located some 20 km from the downtown of the city.

It is bordered by the towns of Villa Adelina, Carapachay and Martínez on the north; Villa Ballester on the west; Florida in the south; and Olivos to the east. The border streets are Mariano Moreno, Bartolomé Mitre Avenue, Paraná, National Highway 9 (Panamericana), Antonio Malaver, Alexander Fleming, Luis María Drago, Primera Junta, Montes de Oca, Capitán Cajaraville, Juramento, Carlos Calvo, Albarellos, and Belgrano.

There are many sports clubs in Munro such as Unión Vecinal de Fomento Munro (founded on 1922), Olivos Rugby Club (1927), Club Unión de Munro (1946), Club Social y Deportivo Industrial Munro (1947).

Some of Munro's local industries are: Atanor, Fabriloza, Colorín, Virulana, Ripán, Telagoma, Bayer, Gillette and other factories of clothing, lumber, steel, food, etc. In the town were located the Lumiton filming studios (they still exist today as a museum of the movies filmed there).

Contents

  • Population 1
  • History 2
  • Sports 3
  • External links 4

Population

The historic Lumiton Studios, today the Museum of Cinema

The town area is approximately 5.8 km² and is populated by 35,844 (), being the third most populous city in the partido, with 13.1% of its total population. In 1991 there were 36,188 citizens, which implies a 1% drop compared to 2001.

History

The town of Munro was born with the construction of a station of the Ferrocarril Córdoba Central rail line (now Ferrocarril General Belgrano) on April 30, 1912. The English railway company, associated to the Compañía Argentina de Tierras del Norte, acquired lands near the railway and charged its station chief, Alfredo Dionisio Godoy, the lands sale. The station has its name after Duncan Mackay Munro, who worked at the railway company.

On June 11, 1922, 49 neighbors led by Alfredo Dionisio Godoy founded the Unión Vecinal de Fomento de Munro. With the population growth, many stores were opened that formed an important commercial centre. Munro was also the site of Lumiton Studios, a movie production house founded by local radio pioneer Enrique Susini which, from 1931 to 1952, turned out over 180 full-length films and became among the best-known in Argentine cinema. On November 11, 1961, the partido's first school was founded: School Nº4 Domingo Faustino Sarmiento. On March 22, 1965, the Santa María Reina church is founded, and from 1996 it belongs to the San Isidro obispado.

In 1981 Mitre Avenue was repaired, thus modernizing the commercial centre. In 1995 the Centro Cultural Munro (Munro Cultural Center) was inaugurated with a capacity for 870 people.

Sports

The most important activity is football, in which Club Atlético Colegiales is the most distinguished club.

External links

  • Municipal information: Municipal Affairs Federal Institute (IFAM), Municipal Affairs Secretariat, Ministry of Interior, Argentina. (Spanish)
  • (Spanish) Munro City website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.