World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Point Isabel Lighthouse

Article Id: WHEBN0021138401
Reproduction Date:

Title: Point Isabel Lighthouse  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Point Isabel Lighthouse

Point (Port) Isabel Lighthouse
The Point (Port) Isabel Lighthouse in 2003
Point Isabel Lighthouse
Point Isabel Lighthouse
Location Off TX 100
Port Isabel, Texas
Coordinates

26°4′40″N 97°12′27″W / 26.07778°N 97.20750°W / 26.07778; -97.20750Coordinates: 26°4′40″N 97°12′27″W / 26.07778°N 97.20750°W / 26.07778; -97.20750

Built 1854
Governing body City of Port Isabel
NRHP Reference # 76002014[1]
Added to NRHP April 30, 1976

The Point (Port) Isabel Lighthouse is a historic lighthouse located in Port Isabel, Texas, United States that was built in 1852 to guide ships through the Brazos Santiago Pass to Port Isabel. The lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 30, 1976.

On September 28, 1850, the United States Congress authorized an appropriation of $15,000 for "a lighthouse and beacon light" at Brazos Santiago Pass. Work began in February 1852. When complete, the lighthouse was an 82-foot-high brick tower and had four lights. By 1854, it had 15 lamps and 21 reflectors. A third order fresnel lens was installed in 1857 [2] and the fixed light was varied by flashes.

During the American Civil War the Point (Port) Isabel Lighthouse was occupied by soldiers from both sides as a look-out post. After the Civil War, the lighthouse was refitted and returned to operation in 1866. In 1888, the light was temporarily discontinued as claimants proved that the United States government did not have title to the land, forcing the government to condemn the land in 1894 to acquire title. On July 15, 1895, the light returned to use. It operated for ten years, after which time it was extinguished in 1905. On Sept. 20, 1927, the government sold the lighthouse and land. A local citizen purchased it. In the late 1940s, a movement began to save the lighthouse as a historic site. On October 5, 1950, the Texas State Park Board accepted the lighthouse and surrounding land as a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Lon C. Hill, Jr., the owners at the time.

The Texas State Park Board began restoring the lighthouse in 1951, and it was opened to the public in 1952. Today the lighthouse is operated as a Texas State Historic Site. In September 1996, a new visitors center was completed. The site is owned by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department but operated by the City of Port Isabel.

References

External links

  • Historical markers for the Old Point Isabel Lighthouse
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.