World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Sant'Angelo (Milan)

Church of Sant'Angelo
(Basilica di Sant'Angelo)
Façade of the church.
Basic information
Location Milan, Italy
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Roman Catholic
Province Milan
Status Active
Architectural description
Architectural type Church
Architectural style Baroque
Groundbreaking 16c
Completed 18c
Nave
Glory of St. Charles Borromeo, by Morazzone.

Sant'Angelo (officially Santa Maria degli Angeli) is a church in Milan, Lombardy, northern Italy, belonging to the Franciscan Order.

History

The church was constructed in the mid-16th century by the Spanish general and Governor Milan Ferrante Gonzaga, over an edifice already existing in 1418, in replacement of the eponymous one, which had been destroyed to build the new walls. The design was by Domenico Giunti. The small bell tower was added in 1607, while the façade was finished only in 1630, in late-Mannerist or early-Baroque style. The church is one of the few in the city which was not restored in "neo-medieval" style during the 19th century.

It has a single nave with side chapels and barrel vault, a transept and a deep presbytery. Artworks include works by Gaudenzio Ferrari (chapel of St. Catherine, now replaced by a copy; the original is in the Pinacoteca di Brera), Antonio Campi (same chapel), Morazzone (a St. Charles Borromeo in Glory), Simone Peterzano (frescoes in the St. Anthony Chapel), Ottavio Semino (Brasca Chapel in the transept), Camillo Procaccini (frescoes in the transept and in several chapels) and Giulio Cesare Procaccini (a Nativity, in the Rococo-style sacristy).

The triumphal arch has a frescoes with a solemn Incoronation of Mary by Stefano Maria Legnani (Legnanino).

In the transept is the tomb of Blessed Beatrice Casati, the wife and widow of Francino Rusca, the Earl of Locarno. She raised four children -- three sons and one daughter, the latter of whom placed this monument to their mother -- and was a devout member of the Franciscan tertiaries. She died in 1490.

Her epitaph reads, “Here lies Beatrix, the shining jewel of the Rusca family, who was married to Count Francino. When she was left a widow, the sacred Franciscan Order sustained her in wonderful chastity under the shelter of your wings, and the Third Order provided her with a regime for living such that she rejoices with those who have been blessed by God above.”

The convent is a 20th-century addition.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.