World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Shivachevo

Article Id: WHEBN0008471141
Reproduction Date:

Title: Shivachevo  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of cities and towns in Bulgaria, List of postal codes in Bulgaria
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Shivachevo

Shivachevo
Шивачево
Shivachevo
Shivachevo
Location of Shivachevo, Bulgaria

Coordinates: 42°41′N 26°02′E / 42.683°N 26.033°E / 42.683; 26.033

Country Bulgaria
Provinces
(Oblast)
Sliven
Government
 • Mayor Dinko Dinev
Elevation 260 m (850 ft)
Population (2006-06)
 • Total 3,968
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
Postal Code 8890
Area code(s) 04593
License plate CH

Shivachevo (Bulgarian: Шивачево) is a small town in the Sliven Province located on the southern slopes of the Balkan Mountains in central eastern Bulgaria.

History

The area around the present town of Shivachevo has been inhabited since ancient times. Numerous archeological artifacts have been found in the area. Thracian earthenware used during funeral ceremonies and containing burnt bones and wheat were found in the yard of the present-day school. Other discoveries include a Thracian bronze helmet, Roman coins, and Byzantine coins with the faces of the emperors Justinian I and Nikiforos Foka.

From the distant past the inhabitants of Shivachevo were famous for their patriotic spirit. They aided the volunteer detachments (called "haidushki chet") who fought against the Turkish rule during the 19th century. After the Crimean War (1853–1856) and the new Turkish laws that followed it, a committee was established in Shivachevo in 1857 for building a church which was finished in 1859 and was given the name of St. Dimitar. The town celebration is held on October 26 every year on St. Dimitar's Day.

The year 1860 is connected with the opening of the first school in Shivachevo on the grounds of the church. After the liberation of Bulgaria from Turkish rule in 1892, a new school building was constructed. The first female teacher, Tina Kirkova, was appointed in the same year. At a town meeting on August 22, 1909, the name of the village was changed from Terzobas (from the Turkish word for "tailor") to Eastern Shivachevo, "Shivach" (Шивач) stemming from the Bulgarian word for “tailor”. In 1934, the name was changed to Greater Shivachevo. In 1976, the village became,simply, Shivachevo. In 1984, the village officially became a town.

Geography and climate

Shivachevo is located 260 km east of Sofia, 35 km west of the city of Sliven (pop. 147,000), and 140 km west of the port city of Bourgas and the Black Sea. Nearby towns and villages include Nova Zagora, Kazanlak, Sborishte, Banya, and the administrative center of the municipality, Tvarditsa.

The area surrounding the town is well known as the heart of the wine-growing region in Bulgaria. Vini Sliven, a winery operating out of Sliven, owns a production facility in Shivachevo, 220 hectares of vines in the area, and produces a well-regarded Cabernet Sauvignon named after the town, "Chateau Shivatchevo". Peaches, cherries, plums, and figs are also cultivated in the region.

Demographics

As of 2006, the population was 3,968. Bulgarians make-up the largest ethnic group in the town, followed by Roma. There is no official estimate as to the percentage of Bulgarians to Roma.

Culture

The town cultural center (Chitalishte / Читалище) was founded in 1898 and is called "Prosveta", which means "Enlightenment". A new building was constructed in 1958 and serves as the centerpiece of the town park. It currently houses a library, community meeting space, and theater for live performances.

External links

  • Official site of the town of Shivachevo
  • Georgi Karavelov School

Coordinates: 42°41′N 26°02′E / 42.683°N 26.033°E / 42.683; 26.033

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.