USS Instill (MSF-252)

Career (United States)
Name: USS Instill (AM-252)
Builder: Savannah Machine and Foundry Company, Savannah, Georgia
Laid down: 24 November 1943
Launched: 5 March 1944
Sponsored by: Mrs. Lydia G. Mehoffey
Commissioned: 22 May 1944
Decommissioned: 26 February 1947
Recommissioned: 16 March 1951
Decommissioned: 1 March 1954
Reclassified: MSF-252, 7 February 1955
Struck: 1 May 1962
Fate: Transferred to Mexican Navy, October 1962
Career (Mexico)
Name: ARM DM-10
Acquired: October 1962
Struck: 1986[1]
Fate: unknown
General characteristics
Class & type:
Displacement: 650 long tons (660 t)
Length: 184 ft 6 in (56.24 m)
Beam: 33 ft (10 m)
Draft: 9 ft 9 in (2.97 m)
Propulsion: 2 × ALCO 539 diesel engines, 1,710 shp (1,280 kW)
Farrel-Birmingham single reduction gear
2 shafts
Speed: 15 knots (28 km/h)
Complement: 104
Armament: 1 × 3"/50 caliber (76 mm) DP gun
2 × twin Bofors 40 mm guns
1 × Hedgehog anti-submarine mortar
2 × Depth charge tracks

USS Instill (AM-252) was an built for the United States Navy during World War II. She saw service in the Atlantic during World War II. She was decommissioned in February 1947 and placed in reserve. Instill was recommissioned in March 1951 during the Korean War and remained in commission until March 1954, when she was placed in reserve again. While she remained in reserve, Instill was reclassified as MSF-252 in February 1955 but never reactivated. In October 1962, she was sold to the Mexican Navy and renamed ARM DM-10. She was stricken from Mexican Navy service in 1986, but her ultimate fate is not reported in secondary sources.

U.S. Navy career

Instill was launched 5 March 1944 by the Savannah Machine & Foundry Co., Savannah, Georgia; sponsored by Mrs. Lydia G. Mehoffey; and commissioned 22 May 1944, Lt. Charles A. Hardy, USNR, in command.

After shakedown out of Little Creek, Virginia, and a few weeks of escort duty in that area, Instill was assigned to Service Force, Atlantic Fleet as a training ship. This duty continued until 11 August when she reported to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to operate with shakedown ships as a radar countermeasure ship. Returning to Norfolk, Virginia, 22 October, Instill remained there until 21 January 1946 when she sailed to Orange, Texas. The minesweeper decommissioned there 26 February 1947, joining the Reserve Fleet.

After the outbreak of the Korean War, Instill recommissioned 16 March 1951 and began an intensive period of training and patrol duty between Charleston, South Carolina, and Norfolk, Virginia. She continued her important minesweeping operations and patrol duty along the U.S. East Coast until she returned to Orange, Texas, 3 January 1954.

Instill decommissioned there 1 March and once again joined the Reserve Fleet. Reclassified MSF-252, 7 February 1955, she remained in the Texas Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet until struck from the Navy List 1 May 1962, and sold in October 1962 to Mexico, and served as DM-10.

Mexican Navy career

The former Instill was acquired by the Mexican Navy in October 1962 and renamed ARM DM-10. She was stricken from Mexican Navy service in 1986,[1] but her ultimate fate is not reported in secondary sources.

Notes

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • Photo gallery of Instill at NavSource Naval History


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.