World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Springfield (1862)

Article Id: WHEBN0014080273
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Springfield (1862)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Springfield, Battle of Corydon, Nashville Union order of battle, Joshua B. Huckeby
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Springfield (1862)

Career (US)
Laid down: date unknown
Launched: 1862
Acquired: 20 November 1862
Commissioned: 12 January 1863
Decommissioned: 30 June 1865
Struck: 1865 (est.)
Fate: sold, 17 August 1865
General characteristics
Displacement: 146 tons
Length: 134 ft 9 in (41.07 m)
Beam: 26 ft 11 in (8.20 m)
Draft: 4 ft (1.2 m)
Depth of hold: 4 ft 4 in (1.32 m)
Propulsion: steam engine
stern wheel-propelled
Speed: not known
Complement: not known
Armament: six 24-pounder howitzers
Armor: tin clad
For other ships of the same name, see USS Springfield.

USS Springfield (1862) was a steamship purchased by the Union Navy during the American Civil War. She was used by the Union Navy as a gunboat assigned to patrol Confederate waterways.

Springfield -- a stern wheel river steamer built at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1862 -- was purchased by the Navy at that city on 20 November 1862; and was commissioned at Cairo, Illinois, on 12 January 1863, Lt. Henry A. Glassford in command.

Patrolling the Ohio, Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers

The light draft gunboat operated on the Ohio, Tennessee, and Cumberland Rivers escorting transports and protecting Union Army lines of communication and supply, from time to time engaging guerrilla forces on the river banks.

Destroying the town of Palmyra, Tennessee

On 3 April 1863, Springfield accompanied gunboats USS Lexington, USS Brilliant, USS Alfred Robb and USS Silver Lake on an expedition up the Tennessee River to destroy Palmyra in retaliation for the attack by a Confederate battery there the day before which damaged Union gunboat USS St. Clair and Army transports Eclipse and Luminary.

In pursuit of Confederate General John Morgan and his raiders

Perhaps Springfield's most exciting service came in July when she joined a number of other gunboats in chasing a large Confederate force led by General John Hunt Morgan. The Southern raider crossed the Ohio River on 8 July, entered Indiana, and commenced a wild ride east. While Union home guards pursued him, the Union gunboats moved up the river and prevented him from recrossing to safety in the South. Finally, after a 10-day chase over some 500 miles, the pursuers caught up with the raiders and forced them to attempt to cross at Buffington Island. Federal steamers Moose and Alleghany Belle repeatedly frustrated Morgan's efforts to move his troops south of the river. Pressed from both directions, most of the raiders surrendered.

Morgan and a few followers managed to retreat into the hills and rode on for another week through the North before they were surrounded and captured near New Lisbon, Ohio.

Chasing Confederates attempting to cross the Cumberland

Almost a year of routine convoy and patrol service went by before Springfield could report any more excitement. On 3 June 1864, as the tinclad was descending the Cumberland, she came upon a band of guerrillas attempting to ford the river at Shelly Island. The gunboat opened fire on the Confederates who fled on foot leaving behind four horses, a few pounds of horseshoe nails, and a “contraband” blacksmith whom they had impressed “to shoe rebel horses.”

Springfield served on upper rivers through the end of the Civil War.

Post-war decommissioning, sale, and civilian career

On 29 April 1865, she was ordered down to Mound City, Illinois, where she was decommissioned on 30 June. The steamer was sold at public auction there on 17 August 1865 to R. G. Jameson. Re-documented as Jennie D. on 1 April 1866, the stern wheeler served on the Mississippi River system until 1875.

See also

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.