World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Legislative District Of Abra

Article Id: WHEBN0006067778
Reproduction Date:

Title: Legislative District Of Abra  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Legislative districts of Ilocos Sur, Government of the Philippines, House of Representatives of the Philippines, Legislative districts of the Philippines, Bucay, Abra
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Legislative District Of Abra

This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Philippines

The Legislative District of Abra is the representation of the province of Abra in the of the Philippines. The province is currently represented in the lower house of the Congress of the Philippines through its lone congressional district.

Abra was initially represented as part of the third assembly district of Ilocos Sur in 1907, having been annexed to the latter as a sub-province in 1905. Following its re-establishment as a regular province on March 10, 1917 through Act No. 2711, Abra was granted its separate representation; its first representative was elected in 1919. When seats for the upper house of the Philippine Legislature were elected from territory-based districts between 1916 and 1935, the province formed part of the first senatorial district which elected two out of the 24-member senate.

In the disruption caused by the Second World War, two delegates represented the province in the National Assembly of the Japanese-sponsored Second Philippine Republic: one was the provincial governor (an ex officio member), while the other was elected through a provincial assembly of KALIBAPI members during the Japanese occupation of the Philippines. Upon the restoration of the Philippine Commonwealth in 1945, the province continued to comprise a lone district.

The province was represented in the Interim Batasang Pambansa as part of Region I from 1978 to 1984, and elected one representative to the Regular Batasang Pambansa in 1984. Abra retained its lone congressional district under the new Constitution which was proclaimed on February 11, 1987, and elected its member to the restored House of Representatives starting that same year.

Lone District

  • Population (2010): 234,733
Period Representative
5th Philippine Legislature
1919–1922
Eustaquio Purugganan
6th Philippine Legislature
1922–1925
Adolfo Brillantes
7th Philippine Legislature
1925–1928
Quintín Paredes
8th Philippine Legislature
1928–1931
9th Philippine Legislature
1931–1934
10th Philippine Legislature
1934–1935
1st National Assembly
1935–1938
Agapito Garduque
2nd National Assembly
1938–1941
Quintín Paredes
3rd National Assembly
1941–1946
Jesus Paredes
1st Congress
1946–1949
Quintín Paredes
2nd Congress
1949–1953
Virgilio Valera
3rd Congress
1953–1957
Lucas P. Paredes
4th Congress
1957–1961
5th Congress
1961–1965
6th Congress
1965–1969
Carmelo Z. Barbero
7th Congress
1969–1972
8th Congress
1987–1992
Rudolfo A. Bernardez
9th Congress
1992–1995
Jeremias Z. Zapata
10th Congress
1995–1998
11th Congress
1998–2001
Vicente Ysidro P. Valera
12th Congress
2001–2004
Luis P. Bersamin, Jr.
13th Congress
2004–2007
vacant
14th Congress
2007–2010
Cecilia S. Seares-Luna
15th Congress
2010–2013
Ma. Jocelyn V. Bernos
16th Congress
2013–2016
^1 Assassinated during incumbency December 16, 2006.

At-Large (defunct)

Period Representative
National Assembly
1943–1944
Juan Brillantes (ex officio)
Quintin Paredes, Jr.
Regular Batasang Pambansa
1984–1986
Arturo V. Barbero

See also

References

  • Philippine House of Representatives Congressional Library


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.